Sunday, January 8, 2012

Week 1

Well today is January 8th, which means that week 1 of the 2012 is complete. This also means that week 1 of marathon training is complete. I kind of fudged this week since the training plan I want to follow is 18 weeks long and the marathon I want to run is 19 weeks into the year...I also didn't fully commit to the marathon until yesterday. I was on the fence between really committing to training the right way for a half marathon (since I've never really trained properly for any of the 4 half marathons I've run) and going for a new PR (since my current PR was my very first half!) and training for a full in the spring knowing I might get into NY in the fall.

I talked a friend into running the Publix Georgia Half Marathon with me on March 18th...a date that falls in line with the half marathon required as a part of the marathon training program...so I guess that means I'm running a spring marathon!

So the summary of this week was...
Sunday: rest day - Sea World
Monday: 3 mile run, 0.5 mile walk
Tuesday: Legoland! (no time to run!)
Wednesday: 4.5 mile run
Thursday: 3.25 mile run
Friday: rest day - 30 min circuit workout at Planet Fitness and 3.2 miles on the Elliptical
Saturday: 5 mile long run (and it took every ounce of my willpower to finish...shame on me for not eating before running)
Sunday: 60 minute boot camp at the Y

Next week plan says I need to run:
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: 3 miles
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: rest
Saturday: 6 miles
Sunday: 60  min cross train

Since I want to lose weight I'm also going to try to work in weights on the days I have shorter runs and maybe try out some new classes at the Y since that's half of the reason I switched gyms (btw kudos to Planet Fitness for being SUPER AWESOME about letting me quit, I've never had such a good experience quitting a gym, no 60 days written notice, no calling an 800 that hangs up on you, just walked in, signed a piece of paper, and I was done!). The other half of the reason why I moved to the Y was because they just built a super nice new gym including a brand new indoor pool! And after I finish marathon in May I want to start training for an Olympic Triathlon for later in the summer. I figured having a pool would be nice and a super awesome way to cross train and recover from the running (maybe water run if I need it).

In other news, I signed up for track practice with the local running group. I've never been to a track practice so maybe that wasn't my smartest thing to sign up for having never actually met anyone from the running group. I'm a little nervous...I have no idea what to expect and there are all kinds of rules about track etiquette! Any advice from the blog world? I know the people will probably be nice but will they be accepting of the fact that I've never done a track practice and I'm showing up to one?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure the running group will fill you in on their track etiquette - sounds fun!
    Exciting to hear about your Publix run too, looking forward to meeting you!
    :)

    ReplyDelete