Monday, May 30, 2011

Sweating Out the Sick

This past Friday my cousin got married in the Outer Banks in NC. It was a beautiful wedding and the weather was perfect. I flew down on Thursday and came back Sunday. While I was there I tried to run every day and was successful on Friday and Saturday (Sunday I walked...more on that in a minute). Thursday was mostly travel and we barely had time to get dressed for the rehearsal dinner so no time to run.

As you may or may not know, NC at the end of May is HOT and apparently there have been some wild fires around there recently. Well I have asthma so my lungs don't play well with smoke. The smoke wasn't terrible but you could definitely smell it/see a haze at times. I managed to run 3-4 miles on Friday and Saturday. By Sunday my sinuses and lungs had pretty much had it, and I got a splinter in my toe Saturday so it was still a little painful so I chose to walk on Sunday. But as Sunday progressed what I thought was a reaction to the smoke progressed into a head cold. And by the time I got off the plane in NH I was dying.

So I got home, downed some Nyquil and slept until almost 11AM this morning. Then I sat around my house catching up on TV most of the day before deciding that I was feeling fat and lazy and needed to do something. Now I think there are varying opinions on what one should do exercisewise when sick...I'm a pretty strong believer in sweating out the sick. If you can drag your butt to the gym and get sweaty, do it! You don't have to do something high intensity or something that makes you breathe super hard. Today I chose the bike. I can breathe on the bike but I still get sweaty. By the end of the workout my sinuses were clearing up and I was feeling better about myself. I do wish I had been able to go swimming but I don't think that would have been a fabulous idea today...plus there was some old lady in the adult only swim lane and I didn't want to wait for her...

What is your opinion of exercising while sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment