Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Resting Guilt

Today I worked a 12 hour day. While not uncommon lately, I was totally pooped when I walked out of work. I worked out Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday this week and I have another race tomorrow afternoon (the high temp is supposed to be 100!), not to mention the fact that I've been at work at 6AM every day this week and I haven't been able to fall asleep until midnight-ish every night. So I decided to take a day off from the gym. The problem is that today was ice cream day at work...which not only means I had ice cream but I got the brownie...and I had a breakfast meeting today so I had a muffin (or two). Needless to say I'm feeling a little bit of resting guilt.

I came home at 7PM today...I had time to go to the gym on the way home. I like to try to cram the gym in on days that I have time to because then I feel less guilty about not going on days I don't have time to go...like I probably won't have time to do anything this Friday or Saturday...I know that resting is important for your body to recover from a hard workout or prepare for a race. But I feel like I haven't had a hard workout this week and I don't really think a 5k is a big race...Sunday is a big race! And I won't feel guilty pigging out on pasta and resting on Saturday (I hope). But today I just don't feel like I deserve to rest. I guess I just need to keep telling myself I need to get to bed early tonight and resting will help me avoid injury...

How often do you rest? Do you ever feel guilty about taking a day off?

No comments:

Post a Comment