Sunday, September 18, 2011

Race Recap: Pelham Old Home Day 5k

HELLO Friends!

The last time I blogged was a few months ago. And coincidentally it was to solicit donations for the Pelham Old Home Day 5k benefiting the Nashua Special Olympics. The race was yesterday! So I figured I had to provide you with at least a race recap.

But first let me explain why I've been missing for 2 months. Right after my last post I ran a lot, biked a lot, hiked a lot, and then ran some more. And then I went to run race #8 of the summer trail series I was participating in, my second week in the big girl 5 mile race! About a half a mile into the race my foot started bothering me. But being stupid, I kept running. Half way into the race (when I was as far as I was going to get from the finish line, with no phone) the nagging pain turned into an unbearable pain. So I hobbled back to my car and drove to the ER (a costly mistake with my new health insurance! Apparently just looking at an ER costs $1000). My work week was going to be really busy and I didn't have time to take off to go to the Dr so I wanted to get it taken care of ASAP and outside of work hours to avoid further injury. They X-rayed, came back with a diagnoses of "sprained foot" and gave me a prescription for some ridiculous painkillers (which I didn't fill!) and a pair of crutches with instructions to go to my real Dr if the pain didn't go away after 2 days on the crutches.

Obviously the pain didn't go away and the crutches left me trying to find creative new ways to maneuver around the office (warning to all hard core runners out there, don't neglect your upper body, you'll regret it if you ever need crutches!). Rather than adding to my growing Dr bill, I skipped my Dr and found someone who knows bones. The dude walked in and without even talking to me told me it was stress fractures and charged me $400 for his time and a fancy Aircast. Which limited my exercise options for a few weeks. I took this opportunity to throw myself into 80 hour work weeks to forget about the fact that I couldn't run (and to pay off those stupid Dr's!). That pretty much catches up to this weekend.

I decided to take the cast off a few weeks ago to slowly work my way back into running. I started just walking around to make sure the pain was gone and I slowly started adding running in over the past 2 weeks. The big test was yesterday, with the 5k. Kind of fitting that this was my first post injury run. Last year this race got me hooked on running and this year it reminded me why I love running (because I had started to forget the  past few weeks!). I finished in 28:45, which was 40 seconds faster than last year. I had been doing better with my speed but obviously I lost a lot of that recently. I also had really bad stomach cramps throughout pretty much the entire race.

But it was all worth it in the end. I had fun hanging out with the Special Olympics Athletes who were participating in the race. I was surprised how many remembered me from last year! I ended up getting 2nd place in the volunteer fundraising category which came with a $25 gift certificate to the local running store, woot!

So that should get you all caught up to today. Hopefully I'll be better with this blog now that I'm running but only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment